February 6, 2009

A night in my shoes

It was raining. Shitty, shitty weather, I thought to myself. I hated standing outside on the pavement in the rain at night, but I had a job to do. How cliché.

The television was blasting indoors. I stared hard at the living room window. I could barely make out a shape of a man lounging by the TV set. Judging from the noise coming from the TV, a game was on. Or at least, had just reached half time.

My man silhouette got up and switched the light on in the kitchen. Ah, he was preparing dinner. By the sounds of it, he was throwing some things together and simply sautéing it, and whistling in the background. Big mistake, didn’t anyone tell him it was bad luck to whistle while cooking?

I concentrated on the sound of his voice, the clarity of his tune. He was a young man, full of promise, not more than 30 years of age, living on his own. I gathered my will and exhaled deeply.

My man silhouette was inspired by me to bake a batch of cookies for dessert. He turned on the oven to pre-heat it, and I reminded him that his sauté dinner combo was about to burn. It was important to keep an even pressure on his soul. Too much, and I kill him without damning him. Too little and I lose him. He finished preparing his dinner and was about to turn off the stove. I concentrated on him a bit harder, I could feel his inner resistance ebb away with this conscience slightly puzzled. He lazily concluded he could turn off the oven after the game.

My man silhouette, fixed up his place in front of the TV. He was slightly confused on why he was taking his time, but I kept my breathing even, I didn’t want to startle him all together and start again. Half time was over and the second half began. My man silhouette ate his dinner contentedly while enjoying the game.

I kept a steady concentration on him. My efforts were rewarded when he was inspired to leave the dishes where he ate and just head towards his bedroom. I made sure, he didn’t even think of changing. At long last, he slept. He didn't trouble himself with the gas leaking from his oven. I encouraged him not to bother.

All this work made me hungry. I was wondering where to go when I heard his heart stop and his soul cry out. I smiled to myself and headed for the nearest bar. I was going to celebrate tonight. And after that, who knows? Maybe, I just might drop by and visit…. You!

2 comments:

grace February 8, 2009 at 5:24 AM  

thanks kari.
:)
i'm slowly letting my evil out
:P

louiie February 12, 2009 at 8:06 PM  

awesome! really nice imagery! kudos to you, bella.

  © Blogger template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008. Customized by Kari Lopez 2008.

Back to TOP