June 5, 2009

Your choice

It is choice – not chance – that determine your destiny. – Jean Nidetch.

Jean couldn’t have said it any better. I’ve been around for a while, and what I see is, that most people have got the wrong idea of me. They think it’s the other way around. That, I, am just random. They think I am the consequential result caused by their own free will. Others have a more fatalistic approach. Even the time, manner and place of when they sneeze is pre-destined. Let me tell you, I don’t have that kind of time. I don’t do shit like that. I’m more active.

I come in, when you find yourself at the tipping point…

Brad and Lisa are hanging out by the alley of a club. Lisa has her back up against the wall, and Brad is leaning in. His breath smells of alcohol, and he’s so close to her, she can see the redness of his eyes. “This has been a fun evening. Thanks for coming out,” he said.

Lisa tries to push him away from her, “You’re just drunk,” she replied.

“And so are you.” Brad leans in and brushes her hair away from her eyes. She sees reflected in his eyes, her yearning-and her guilt. In shame, she turns away. “Look at me,” he commands.

“Brad, don’t. Please.”

“Don’t deny it. You’re attracted to me.” He pulls up her right hand. “That ring on your finger doesn’t mean anything. You’re getting married in two days, and you’re drunk,” he turns her chin to face him, “Out here, all alone with me.”
Lisa’s heart starts beating faster,
Am I really going to do this?

I enter, when you’re facing crossroads…

Danilo has handed in his resignation letter to his boss, a month ago, and they are presently working out the details of separation.

“We were very happy with you working here with us, Danilo,” says the boss, while leafing through some papers.
“We’re very sorry to lose you.”

“I had a great time here too. I learned a lot.” Danilo smiles.

“I know. So I’m offering you a new contract,” he hands over to Danilo the papers he was just going over. “It’s a permanent position, a higher one in fact. Essentially, it’s a promotion. You’ll get a substantial amount of pay raise. Effective, as soon as you agree.”

“Thank you, Sir. But as you know, I’m getting married in two days, in Italy. My future, and my future family, is going to be there.” Danilo got up “Your offer is generous but it’s not enough to make me stay in Brussels,” he said, as he extended his hand, signaling his departure.

“Good for you, you’re getting married. For your sake, I hope neither one of you is getting cold feet,” replied the boss, as he shook Danilo’s hand.

For a second, Danilo let his boss’ words sink in. Lisa has been acting weird lately, she says it's nothing. I don’t know what to think. I can’t help but feel she’s hiding something from me.

“This job opportunity, right here, this one comes once in a lifetime,” continued the boss as he was walking Danilo to the door. “You don’t have to give me an answer right away, but just think about it?”

I am there, when key moments present themselves….

Paolo was staring up at the ceiling. He couldn’t get the days events out of his head. He had attended his first parole hearing and didn’t expect things to turn out the way they did.

“…good behavior. We have agreed for your early release…” the panelist voice echoed in his head.

Early release?

“You will be a free man tomorrow,” he continued. “We sincerely hope you’ve been rehabilitated. Have you given thought to what you’ll do when you leave?”

“No, sir,” Paolo answered. His head was still swimming.

“I suggest you think about it: what kind of like do you want to pursue once you’re back outside.”

Paolo’s thoughts were still mixed up. He thought of hamburgers and doing whatever it was he wanted to do, when he wanted to do it: sleeping, eating, running. But something was bothering him. What am I going to do with myself when I get out of here
?


I am present, when important decisions need to be taken…

Jo was trying to understand what the doctor was saying, but couldn’t make sense of any of it.

“The results indicate that you have a 5% chance of conceiving a baby naturally. This just means that you’ll have a harder time getting pregnant. I understand that 25 years old is young and there is much you’d like to pursue. However, it’s best that you understand the seriousness of your condition and the options you have. As you grow older, the 5% chance that you have now will grow smaller and smaller. If you want to have kids, you can always adopt – if you wish you experience giving birth, then I suggest you get a move on. If there is no one right now in your life, you may wish to consider going to a sperm bank.” The doctor closed the file in front of her.

“Thank you for telling me all this," Jo began, fidgeting slightly. "I must admit, I am a bit overwhelmed. In order to have this baby – my own baby, when do I need to start putting the plan into action? Since, as you’ve mentioned, I don’t have anyone right now.”

“Jo, if you want to have your own baby, be in time to make it and bake it, without endangering your life and your baby’s life- you will have to have it within 12 months of this diagnosis - that means, this year.”

When you’re all alone at night, hiding in the dark, it’s my voice you hear asking you,

“What are you going to do now?”

3 comments:

louiie June 5, 2009 at 4:35 PM  

Brillo! I can't wait to see what happens next.

Kari June 8, 2009 at 12:47 PM  

alam mo hindi ko alam kung saan mo hinuhugot yung mga pinagsususulat mo. tsong ang galing mo.

this is nothing i expected specially after louiie's post. i am honestly surprised and can't wait to see how ging adds to this. hayup ka.

owee June 9, 2009 at 8:25 AM  

*clap clap!* mahusay! :D

  © Blogger template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008. Customized by Kari Lopez 2008.

Back to TOP